Thursday, July 21, 2011

Swimming, biking, running...

My sister talked me in to doing a triathlon with her this summer. Now she's thinking of backing out. I have injured myself a couple times this summer, and questioned my own abilities to keep training, but have managed to muddle through. To be honest, I really don't care if I do a triathlon or not. I am less and less competitive as I get older. But, what I have loved about this is that it has motivated me to push my body in different ways. I came to the point where I actually enjoyed going jogging a few years back. I thought I would enjoy swimming, but I feel like I am running sprints in the pool and while I am enjoying the workout for my arms, and love the cool of the water, I just can't say I love it yet. Biking isn't something I've done since college and even then, I didn't do much more than just own a bike. This has been a real challenge, using yet another set of muscles. If I could figure out a good way to bike without feeling bruised on my bottom, I may start to enjoy it.
Long story short, I don't know if I will do the triathlon, but I am so glad that I have taken the time to try some new things. So often I forget that pushing myself to do something new is very empowering and makes me feel good. I don't have any ambition to win any races, but I am learning to love the race!

1 comment:

Niki said...

OH now that's just motivating! I want to do it.. and I DON'T want to do it!! So complicated... Good job though. I'm totally impressed!